One of the more requested topics I receive from affiliates in the industry is, “How can I make my landing page compliant?” After the hit from the FTC in early 2011, the industry for the most part cleaned things up a bit. The typical news-style pages were turning into much more compliant lifestyle/article style pages. The thing is…most of these pages STILL aren’t compliant by FTC standards. Now, I’m not going to out anybody in this post because that’s not really my style, but I’ll take some examples from pages that can easily be found around most popular sites. Again, I’m not a lawyer, so as always, consult one before running your own pages.
- Saying things like this: “Note: Only 6 Trials - Available Today: November 30, 2012″ is still not compliant…Instead of saying this, try saying limited trials available. It won’t hurt your conversions or clickthroughs, and you’ll be able to stay much more compliant.
- Saying “A Local Mom of (Your City Here)”….Pretty self explanatory here guys. Most legitimate advertisers these days have success stories and testimonials with signed affidavits for your use. You can still use a success story, just make sure you use the proper city they’re from.
- Don’t use fake, recycled pictures that everyone else is using. Again, pretty self explanatory, but it happens all the time. Just as I mentioned above, most advertisers will also provide you with legitimate pictures of before and afters and shots of their product as well, you just have to ask.
- Don’t use a fake Facebook like button that goes to your offer. Instead, create a legitimate Facebook page, and insert the ACTUAL button
- Use ACTUAL studies in your page. For example, the green coffee bean supplements typically contain caffeine in the extract. From a legal standpoint, clinical studies make you look 1,000x more legitimate. So if your 800mg green coffee bean pill contains 100mg of caffeine, perhaps quote and link to a study such as this- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12032741 which says “In this 6-month placebo-controlled trial, herbal ephedra/caffeine (90/192 mg/day) promoted body weight and body fat reduction and improved blood lipids without significant adverse events.”
- Don’t use fake comments….seriously…this is just stupid. With how much traffic you can get these days and how quickly you can get it, try allowing comments to come in and actually posting them. People would rather see 50 comments at the bottom that look legitimate rather than 10 overly happy fake looking comments.
- Consider using a live chat software or setup a dedicated email for inquiries. Think about it, you might get 10,000 clicks a day to your landing page. At 20% CTR, that’s 2,000 clicks to your offer. If you back out at 10% from those 2,000 clicks, that’s 200 sales a day. 200 sales…but you paid for 10,000 clicks. Why not try to monetize that with a live chat exit pop instead of your typical exit pop that everyone and their mother uses?
Take another look at your landing pages, hopefully this post gives you some ideas. Stay rich, my friends.